I love salmon, but I find myself always looking for different ways to jazz up salmon, especially because it’s not my son’s favorite. This recipe however gets a firm nod of approval even from my picky child. The pesto, and sweet potato, add the perfect hint of sweetness that tempers down the salmon’s distinctly fishy flavor, and the Panko coating gives the patties the perfectly crunchy texture. As soon as they hit the table, these salmon pesto cakes will disappear fast so be prepared! They’re great eaten by themselves, on top of a salad, or even cold in a sandwich with maybe some garlic aioli and a whisper of arugula! Enjoy!
Makes about 6 patties
Prep level: Medium
3 - 4 salmon fillets, about 1lb (skinless)
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
1 onion, chopped small
¾ cup full fat milk (or half and half)
1 tablespoon celery, finely chopped
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon pesto sauce (use homemade, or your favorite store bought pesto)
2 lemons grated, rind only
1 teaspoon mustard, scant (yellow or Dijon)
1 egg, beaten
¾ cup breadcrumbs
1 ½ cups Panko breadcrumbs, for coating
- In a medium non-stick pot, and on low heat, place the first 9 ingredients and cook
(covered) for 25 - 30 minutes or until the sweet potato becomes fork-tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the: pesto, grated lemon rind and mustard.
- Leave the mixture to cool down for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the beaten egg and breadcrumbs to the fish and with a hand masher, mash the mixture till everything is well incorporated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper to hold and chill the salmon cakes
- Using your hands, put about 1 heaping tablespoon-worth of the fish mixture and form into a ball. Press down and round the ball with your hands to make (about) 2 ½ inch round patties.
- Place the panko breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl, and with your hands, press the patties onto the breadcrumbs so that all sides are coated.
- Chill the patties at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- In a medium non-stick frying pan and on medium heat add enough vegetable oil to shallow fry the salmon pesto cakes.
- When the oil is hot enough, add the patties and fry till golden brown on both sides – about 3 minutes each side.
- Serve with prepared pesto, side of veggies or in a sandwich!